Collaborative Research and Development (“Seed”) Projects for 2001-2002
An Action Research of the PE Curriculum Reform and Collection of Relevant
Information of the School-based Practices
School Name: Hong Kong True Light College
Project Title: Connecting Art and PE
Target Group: Form 2 and Form 3
Background of the School:
- A girls’ school in Ap Lei Chau, Aberdeen, Hong Kong.
- There are two PE teachers.
- Facilities in school including one gymnasium, one basketball court, one volleyball court and a mini track and field ground is under construction.
- Fencing has been included in the physical education curriculum.
- Generic skills including communication and collaboration skills, cooperative skills, aesthetic and decision making skills can be developed through the project learning.
- To learn different kinds of sports activities and appreciate the posture of different sports.
- To have a deeper understanding of a particular sport that has been chosen to make the sculpture.
- To enhance aesthetic skills through the production of the sculpture.
- Form 2 students were divided into groups and created a “totem” with the theme related to sport.
- The theme of project was related to sport. However, as time was limited, art teacher decided to assign Form 2 students to create a figure on glass and Form 3 students to create a wood sculpture instead of “totem”.
- Physical education teacher introduced different sports to the students.
- Two art lessons were arranged for this project.
- Two different activities were assigned to different form of students.
Activity for Form 3 students
- Form 3 students collected information about sports such as photos and pictures of different kinds of sport motions. Then they drew the sketch of different kinds of sports action.
- According to the sketch, students chose one of the sports skills and produced the wood sculpture. After the art product was completed, they were required to present their products to other students. A series of actions of that particular sport motion had been placed on the wood sculpture, for example, a series of running action.
- In this project, students would apply both their knowledge in sports and art to create their art work.
- They could acquire more knowledge in particular sport skills when doing this project. Assessment of this project was made by both the physical education teacher and art teacher.
Activity for Form 2 students
- Form 2 students were required to choose a sport figure and then drew him/her in a glass by using colour inks. To make the figure more attractive, students were required to use different kinds of lines to represent the action, including the direction. In addition, thick line and thin line were used to represent the strength of the action.
After completing the product, teachers invited students to come forward and inform them how to distinguish whether the product was good or not.
Program Evaluation and Impact on Learning:
(I) Results from Questionnaire
Table 46. Students’ opinion on the following statement: P.E. class should not be only physical skills oriented, other skills should be included (N = 221)
Figure 10a. Students’ Development in Generic Skills
Figure 10b. Students’ Development in Generic Skills
Figure 10c. Students’ Development in Generic Skills
Table 47. Rank Orders of Products of Learning from Curriculum Reform
Table 48. Rank Orders of Students’ Learning Targets in Physical Education
Table 49. Students’ Satisfaction towards PE
Table 49.1. Rank Orders of Reasons for Satisfaction in P.E
Table 50. Students’ Enjoyment in P.E.
Table 50.1. Rank Orders of Reasons for Enjoyment in Physical Education
Results from Interview
A. Development of Generic Skills
reported that they had improvement in the following generic skills:
learnt about team work and cooperation through this program.
reported that they had to observe the movement and decide how to
present it in art form.
learnt how to collect information, and organize the materials.
learnt to analysis the information and they reported that if they had
difficulties, they would seek help from teacher.
B. Development of Values and Attitudes
reported that they were very happy, they enjoyed very much. “It is
very interesting; I have learnt a lot”. In addition, they also
learnt to appreciate the artistic of sport.
(Please refer to photo album for photos taken in this school)